Monday, February 22, 2010

Logan... Part II

Ok Now that I am more coherent, I will update more about the Logan trip for those who don't know.
I got up there Friday night and Whitney and I went to the USU hockey game against Denver, and USU totally dominated, and it was fun to watch, despite the delay for an injury, but that wasn't too bad because we just talked, which is one of my new favorite things I have decided. I like to have a good involving conversation, which is funny because I usually don't like to talk that much. I am more of a listener. Even when it is around people I am comfortable around. If there is a group of people talking and telling stories, I like to just sit back and take it all in, and I am content at that. I know, I'm weird. But I think I'm getting better at that.
Anyhoo.
Back to Logan.
We also watched Star Trek which was sweet. I really liked that movie. You don't even have to be a "trekkie" to enjoy it. (Although I am a pretty big nerd myself.)
Saturday Whitney had a conference thingy for her ASL stuff all day long, so I slept in while Logan donated plasma(I should try this) and when he got back we went to lunch at a pizza place called the Firehouse, and I really enjoyed it. Except my stomach was not feeling so hot (probably the result of a late Taco Bell trip...) and we went back to his apartment so he could study, and I went to the Logan Temple. I really had a good time there. I liked that temple a lot. It is a little different. It makes me wish I could have seen it as it was before the remodeling. But it was really good. As I was walking back to my car I ran into Jerry and Judy Labrum and their son Trevor with either his wife or girlfriend or whatever, I have no idea. It was a really fun surprise and coincidence. They were looking for the Baptistry, but I had no idea where that was, so I was no help. But it was really fun to see them again.
The last event of the day was the basketball game against Wichita State. It was intense!! The students go crazy in the Spectrum. I loved it.
This was my favorite part of the game:

Sunday was funny because Logan's ward starts at 9:30 so I was awake for when he was getting ready but I fell asleep when he left, and didn't get up until 12:25. I had combined with Whitney to meet her at like 12:15 to go to her ward, so I hurried and ran in the shower and got ready ran to the church in less than 20 minutes from when I woke up (shower and all). The best part is that my phone battery was dead so there was no way of Whitney calling me or vice versa. But I made it.
We had a dinner thing after with her ward, and finished the night off with the annual Joseph Smith Restoration fireside with Elder Hales, which was really really good. I got a lot of good things from it.
I will close with a few of the things that he said that stuck out to me.

There are many times when we need to turn to God for help but Satan tries to do all he can to stop that from happening. We must remember just one thing: Light and darkness cannot occupy the same place at the same time.

The great work of God moves forward despite trials!

When a family member or someone else close to us is sick or struggling, or needs help, we must know that it is for our benefit and learning as well as theirs. (he then told a story about when his mother was really sick when he was the Presiding Bishop. She asked him why this was happening to her, and he replied that maybe it was to give her more patience. She said: "I already have mine. Do you?")
So maybe a family tragedy or emergency, etc. could be more for our own benefit than theirs.

We need to record our testimonies and spiritual experiences in journals for our posterity to read.

"God hath made broad shoulders for the burden. We rejoice in our tribulations." -Joseph Smith

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I have never seen my name pop up so many times in one post

TBUTT13 said...

Thats the only reason you went to Utah State in the first place...

Lumpy said...

sounds like fun

Travis Butterfield said...

nice.