Friday, February 12, 2010

"...and [Troy] hath chosen that good part..."

So I had a pretty cool experience today in between classes. My Business class got out early, and I went upstairs in the student center to study a bit. I got out my folder to start studying for my Art History test (I will take it Tuesday I think.) but I remembered that I hadn't read any of the talks in my institute class and I was pretty behind. So I grabbed my little booklet and started reading away. I read one talk, and moved onto the next one. That is the one that I really liked. It is called "The Spirit Giveth Life" by President Monson from 1997. I won't go into much detail about the talk, but I really really liked it. It was something that I have been needing to study. The best part about the whole experience was that the way that I was studying made me feel like the way I studied on my mission. I have read the Scriptures everyday since being home, but I guess the quality of my study lacks sometimes. So it felt really good to get a really good study session. I whipped out my scriptures and was really getting into it. I was there for over an hour, it was really good. I made a new goal to study the Scriptures for at least an hour while I am at school. I just felt so good doing it, and the quality of my study was so much better than if I had done it at night like I usually do, plus it made my day go really good, and especially the Institute class went really good too becuase I was already focused. (I played the piano again by the way)
So, thats my new plan. I need to do better. I need to be like Mary and not like Martha!

Luke 10:38-42:
38¶ Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named aMartha received him into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.
40 But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.
41 And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art acareful and troubled about many things:
42 But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Geez I am walking around putting people's belongings in jello and here you are on a spiritual high. You are just out stepping me by leaps and bounds :)

Becky said...

Yah..for playing the piano! AND choosing the "good part". It is a great feeling isn't it.

Don't be too hard on Martha...I was thinking today I was a Martha and it was a good thing (cleaning Dad's house for him). I think both Mary and Martha have important parts...just deciding which is best at a given moment.