Friday, February 05, 2010

6 Months!!!

Well today, February 4, 2010 officially marks six months that I have been home from my mission. Missionaries would burn a tie when they hit this landmark on the mission, so I'm wondering what I should burn for this stupendous day. Maybe my Chemistry book. That sounds like a good idea right about now.
A lot has happened in six months. I can't believe how fast time has gone by. I have been able to do a lot of cool things. I have gone traveling, I have worked, I have sat at home with nothing to do, I have spoken a ton of times in church, I had a calling, I went back to school, I started the dating scene, and many other great things! :)
I am grateful to where I am at right now; six months after my mission. I have gone through a lot. Good things, hard things, big decisions, and a lot of stress. Its a lot different than being a missionary, where you don't think or worry about yourself for two years. All that matters is serving the Lord, and the people. Things are prepared for you, and you are taken care of. No worries other than obedience to the rules and thinking about how to help others. Life was easier then.... sort of haha it was actually the hardest time of my life, but by far the best time of my life until now. I usually don't speak too often about my mission because I am in a new phase of my life. The mission is over. I obviously never want to forget the experiences, and things that I learned while as a missionary, but they are things that will help me in my day to day life. But it sure is different when you have to worry about making decisions that will affect your own future. Like I have said, the decision to go to UVU rather than SVU was probably the hardest that I have ever made, and I was so so so stressed out about it! But after a month of school, I am pleased with how things have turned out, and I am pretty confident that I made the right choice. It definitely would have been pretty cool to go back to Virginia. Who knows. Maybe it would have been just fine either way. But I felt better about staying here, and it seems to have been the right choice for me, and I am ok with that.
It's hard to think about making those important decisions now. Like what to major in, where to work, who to marry, etc. Man those are tough. It was a lot easier when my biggest trouble was trying to find people, and help them prepare for baptism and confirmation (which, isn't exactly a walk in the park either, but the Lord prepares the way when we are faithful).
But thats part of the journey. Thats part of this great adventure that we are in together. We learn and grow each day. We make mistakes, and we try our best to correct them and learn from them. We get challenges, some that are really tough. But if we do things right, we will be able to rise up to the challenge, and be strengthened because of it. The Lord never will put something in our path that we won't be able to handle. He knows our weak and strong points, and knows what will help us and what will strengthen us (if we act according to His will). Thats the great miracle. Thats the real point of our existence. "Men are that they might have joy." We are here to gain experience, to learn, but most importantly to be happy. And if we learn how to be happy here on Earth (I mean truly happy) then we will prepare ourselves to be eternally happy after this life.

"And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God. For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness. O remember, remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it."
-Mosiah 2:41

This is one of my all time favorite scriptures.
I can say that I have been truly happy in my life, but not always. I have experienced both sides. I think we all have. But I do know that I am doing the very best that I can right now, to obey the Commandments of God, and when I am doing that I am truly happy; and what a good feeling that is!

This turned out to be a lot longer and random than I had imagined, so sorry. Bear with me.
Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I like life! Que vida boa!!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh Oh Oh que vida boa! Man it's crazy how long it has been. My 6 months is coming up... on Valentines Day. It's crazy how so many things have happened. I knew tat mission life was a lot "easier" than home life all along, but this is pretty great too.

TBUTT13 said...

Oh I definitely agree that life is pretty grand right now!

Becky said...

"Find joy in the journey" like Pres. Monson says..and you are! I can say for sure, it is a joy to have you home from your mission. But, what a joy it was knowing you were serving as a missionary during the last 2 years. New challenges..all part of life!

Travis Butterfield said...

T-roy, you are a cool little brother. You know that? This is a good post. It helps to get that eternal perspective, doesn't it?

One thing that I'm finding is that those decisions never do get easier. I'm still trying to figure out "who I am" and what I want to do for a living "when I grow up." But, you are absolutely right, the Lord will guide us if we just do our best to be obedient and to seek His will. Sometimes it's hard to accept His will, but when we do, we will have the most blessings.

I remember when I had been home for 6 months, because I thought to myself, "man, dad was MARRIED at 6 months from being home." That's kind of weird for me to think about, seeing as how my 10 year mark is coming up next month. Can you believe that I will have been home for TEN years in March? It blows my mind.

Anyway. I'm just rambling. It's good to have you home. You're a great example to us all, even though you're the youngest. Kind of funny how that works out . . .